Mbira Lessons with Erica Azim on Skype (or FaceTime)
Lessons in traditional Shona mbira music of Zimbabwe are now available anywhere in the world. Erica Azim, who has played Shona mbira music for over 40 years, and taught mbira to thousands, is now offering mbira lessons over Skype or FaceTime you can be anywhere in the world!
- Wherever you are, have an mbira lesson with an experienced teacher
- Individual private lesson, going at your own pace, learning material appropriate for you
- Have a lesson in the tuning of YOUR mbira (a variety of options are available)
- Get feedback from the teacher on your playing
- After your lesson, you will be emailed a short audio recording of what you learned. However, you may NOT videorecord your lesson.
- The student and teacher cannot play the kushaura and kutsinhira parts together, so come to an MBIRA workshop to work on that.
What do I need to have a Skype mbira lesson?
- A good internet connection
- A computer, laptop, iPad or tablet with Skype (a free program/app) or FaceTime
- A smart phone with Skype or FaceTime could be used, but might be too small to see well unless you have excellent vision
- Headphones or earbuds or good speakers
- An mbira
How do I get started with Skype lessons?
- Email Erica at email@example.com to get lesson rates and tell us the mbira tuning you want to use.
- On Skype, send a contact request to ericaazim, or give me your cell phone number if you prefer FaceTime.
- Over email, arrange either a regular lesson schedule (once a week, once every 2 weeks, once a month, etc.), or a single lesson.
- Before your first lesson, pay the amount agreed upon at either Chase QuickPay (US only), or PayPal.com, to MBIRA (firstname.lastname@example.org). We can send you a Paypal invoice to make that easier. If you have problems with Paypal, we can send you a Square invoice instead if you are in the US.